Seafood Prix d'Elite New Products Competition
A premier event at Seafood Expo Global, the Seafood Prix d'Elite new products competition recognizes the best new seafood products of the year developed for the European market. A distinguished group of seafood experts will judge each entrant on taste, originality, convenience, packaging, market potential and nutrition. The winners will receive special recognition at the show and in the press.
Grand Awards will be given in the following categories:
- Best New Retail Product
- Best New Foodservice Product
In addition, special awards may also be given, at the judges' discretion, in the following categories:
- Health and Nutrition
- Retail Packaging
- Seafood Product Line
- All applicants must be exhibitors of Seafood Expo Global/Seafood Processing Global.
- Eligible products must have been introduced to the European market within the last 18 months, and have not been entered in the Seafood Prix d'Elite in the past. A product is not considered new if its target market has just been expanded from one part of the European market to another.
- Products should be focused toward satisfying the needs of the European market.
- Products must be "market ready," meaning that the manufacturer could take an order for them at the event.
- Products using saltwater and freshwater species of fish and shellfish, and sea vegetables qualify for the competition. No products using reptiles, amphibians or mammals are allowed.
- Products must be a new proposition with a relevant difference when compared to other products in the marketplace and offer clear benefits for the consumer and/or end-user. For example, an individual seafood species that has no additional consumer benefits or value-adding would be eliminated.
- Manufacturers with new technologies may participate if their technology is utilized in a new seafood product that is entered in the competition.
- All interested companies must complete an entry form for each product they wish to enter in the competition. Incomplete entry forms will not be considered.
- All entries will be screened by the contest screening committee to ensure that they meet the eligibility requirements for the competition.
- All products that pass the screening will be judged by a panel of distinguished judges prior to the start of the show. This panel of five to seven experts may include foodservice and retail buyers, chefs, marketing experts, nutritionists and consumer advocates.
- Finalists will be asked to supply samples of their product for the judges to evaluate. The samples will be prepared as part of the judging at no cost to the contestant companies.
- All finalist products will be displayed in a special Seafood Prix d'Elite stand at the exposition.
- The winning products will be announced at the Seafood Prix d'Elite reception on the first evening of the event.
Seafood Prix d'Elite Judging Criteria
||% of total
(flavor, texture, aroma, cooked appearance)
(label information, environmental factors, food safety)
(potential for commercial success, correct pricing and profile for target market, value [quality/price ratio])
(for the end user and consumer)
(appropriate for product and meal occasion)
All judging will be based on a numerical scale to keep it as clear and objective as possible. Scores will be audited by an independent accounting firm.
The tasting portion of the judging will be conducted as a blind tasting (product names and manufacturers are not identified).
There will be one winner in each category, with special mentions made at the judges' discretion. All winners must meet a minimum score test threshold.
- There is no charge for entry.
- Products must be entered in either the retail or foodservice category, but not both. Please choose the category that fits the primary market for your product. Finalists will be limited to no more than one grand award and one special award in the competition.
- All entry information, screening results and judging scores and comments are strictly confidential. However, product information from the winning products (not to include pricing) will be used in press information announcing the winners.
- Each category must have at least two products in it for an award to be given. A category will be eliminated if less than two items are entered.
Winning products will receive:
- Special recognition at the awards ceremony and reception.
- Feature in event advertising for 2014-2015.
- Feature on Seafood Expo Global/Seafood Processing Global website.
- Special recognition at the Seafood Prix d'Elite stand at the event.
- A specially designed award
- No entry fee required!
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Seafood Expo Global
Attn: Minh Ly-Gordon
121 Free Street, P.O. Box 7437
Portland, ME 04112-7437 USA
Tel: +1 207-842-5525
Fax: +1 207-842-5505